What is Organic Tea?
There is a variety of tea that is free of synthetic fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides called “Organic Tea”. In past every agricultural product was organic. Demand and yield were increased with technology advanced. Then harmful synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides have been introduced.
Most of the tea planters are now adopted to organic tea production. The main target is to provide a purer flavor that is also better for the environment. The organic tea cultivation process combines with traditional knowledge, agricultural innovation, and science to provide good quality of life for all stakeholders from tea plantation workers to customers and people and animals who share the same biosphere. In this process, the very important thing is to package teas and blends that have not been altered by potentially harmful chemicals.
But nowadays, organic products are positively needed for proper body and health. Because non-organic foods are very dangerous and unhealthy and agricultural lands are also being destroyed.
The first tea leaf was harvested from wild tea trees. They are not from pre-cultivated tea plants. Then we can imagine that all tea was originally organic.
There are three major principles of organic agriculture
- Sustainable and enhancing the healthy soil, animals, plants and people
- Based on living ecological system
- Protect the health and well- being of current and future generations and environment
Identifying the Organic Tea by taste or flavor
Most organic teas have low flavor when compare with non-organic tea. The main reason is different fertilizer applications. Because, they influence the flavor, color, and scent. So, this one cannot be considered as a general rule. Because all teas are totally different. Therefore, it is impossible to say which one is organic tea or not by flavor. But the flavor of the teacup is showing the quality of tea, organic or non-organic.
Is it healthy or non-healthy?
There is research finding from the University of Newcastle in United Kindom showed that organic food consisting 18-69% more antioxidants than non-organic foods. Totally tea has a different amount of antioxidants. The number of antioxidants in tea depends on many factors such as tea type, growing method, processing method, etc.
Organic pesticides and herbicides are also harmful. They have heavy metals that are harmful to human health. Cadmium, Lead, Arsenic, and Cupper are heavy metals that are most commonly seen in organic tea. They include air, water, and soil and contaminate the organic tea crop.
Organic tea Adulteration
Adulterants are substances added to a product but not listed as an ingredient or a substance that ends up in a product by accident when the product is made. Some adulterants are added to the tea to make it look, taste, or smell better, which should not initially be the tea.
The quality of organic tea is depending on the producer and his ethical principles. There is a number of tea varieties in the world. Each of them has specific characteristics. If the tea packet is labeled “Natural” it only means no artificial ingredients, colorings, scenting and flavorings added.
Why you should buy Organic Tea?
Selecting organic food is a very good option. Not only is organic food linked to good health, but also selecting organic materials are being our part in keeping the planet healthier. An one of the French research has proved that eating organic food may lower the risk of cancer by 24%.
Difference between Organic Tea and Conventional Tea
Most consumers prefer to buying products that have an “Organic” label. Because they have so many benefits. If we comparing organic tea vs conventional tea, what is the real difference????
Organic tea is grown without the use of chemical fertilizers, pesticides, fungicides, or herbicides. These chemicals have harmful effects on farmers, customers, and the environment too. The production of conventional tea may have maximized in a short period of time with the use of different growing methods. So it is a serious environmental and human cost.
There are some growing methods such as plant and micro-organisms based natural fertilizer and pest deterrents related to organic tea that are safe for the environment and planters.
Most of the organic tea is grown on biodiverse small-scale farms. But conventional tea comes from mono-cropped plantations. In conventional tea plantations target is mass production in the short term. They are over-take large pieces of land, eliminate any variety of plant and animal life. The soil nutrients will become low, destroy forests, and leaves wildlife with no place to thrive. This process is unsustainable and creates lasting damage to the land.
Benefits of Organic Tea
Benefits gain from organic tea can be categorized in this manner.
- Good for health
- Good for planters
- Good for the environment and eco-system
- Protect wildlife
Good for health
- The main benefit of the organic tea is toxin free material. There is a major problem that faced by all over the world is pesticides. They are very harmful to our body system. It is causing for long term health problems. So Organic tea can be able to effectively recover this problem. Because organic tea is produced in the safe environment with free of harmful pesticides (weedicides, herbicides, insecticide). Organic tea is a very useful option to consider in this regard.
- Organic tea can promote the digestive health. Digestive health system is very important part of our overall wellbeing. If you maintain your digestive system well, it is great improvement in your overall health. Healthy bacteria living in the digestive system. Organic tea helps to improve the activities of these healthy bacteria and improve their performance also.
- Organic tea and weight lose have a positive relationship. Weight gain is the problem that most of the people have face in the world. When you adding organic tea to your diet, it is cause to lose the weight. But proper exercise needed with this type of diet plan.
- Organic tea helps to relaxation your mind. There is a special chemical compound called “Theanine” contain in the organic tea can relax and calm-down the mind. In the fast running world, everyone has spent a busy lifestyle. Many of them suffer from depression. Mental health is very important and it creates a peaceful place in your mind. Then quality of the life will increase. Early morning organic tea cup will give your mind relaxation and them you can plan your day clearly and calmly.
- There are lot of vitamins and minerals have found in the organic tea. They can build your strength. Vitamin H found in the organic tea directly act on the metabolism. Then you can obtain healthy skin and healthy hair. Vitamin D is reducing the depression and improve bone health. Diabetes is one of the most common non-communicable disease in the world. Organic tea reduces the diabetes with decreasing blood sugar level.
- High blood sugar is a problem suffer from plenty of people in the world. Bad food habits are mainly affecting for this condition. Organic tea regulates the blood sugar level. If you can combine a organic tea cup with your lifestyle, you can see a significant improvement of your blood sugar level.
Good for Planters
In organic tea cultivation, farmers and plantation workers do not expose to the adverse effects of toxic chemicals and organic tea cultivation allows them to complete in the global platform and enable them with more economic capacity.
Good for Environment
Chemical fertilizers and pesticides are drains in the groundwater cycles, streams, and rivers. It has an adverse effect on the biodiversity of ecosystems. Pesticide usage imbalances an ecosystem. They are killing harmful insects and microbes. Natural predators, spiders, ladybugs, eco-friendly bacteria, and fungi required for soil function may destroy this matter. Therefore, when adopting organic tea cultivation long-run benefits can be obtained.
Organic Tea Certifications
A number of brands in the food and beverage market are growing rapidly. Increase the organic certification is supports sustainability, self-sufficiency, and food security. Buyers are considering the organic certification in the label before buying products. Because they need to sure that their food is free from synthetic chemicals and genetically modified organisms. Most of the researches has shown that organic products are improving the water quality, conserving energy, increasing biodiversity, reducing pollution, and conserve soil health. Therefore, the demand for organic products is high.
What is USDA Organic Label?
It is a certification process for organic agricultural products. Any producer can directly involve in food production. Then certified including seed suppliers, farmers, food processors, retailers, and restaurants. USDA certification complies with United States Department of Agriculture organic regulations and allows to sell, label. USDA certification process has five steps.
- Development of organic system plan
- Implement of organic system plan
- Receive inspection
- Having a certifying agent review the inspection report
- Receive the decision from the certifier
Development of organic system plan
An organic system plan is the foundation of the certification process. It is creating by the producer. The plan is based on the type of operation and needs. Operations mean, the farming or handling systems. (tilling, grazing, plucking, store, transportation)
Implement of the organic system plan
Operations should be certified by private or foreign entities in the USDA. They are certifying agents and located around the world. Their responsibility is to ensure the organic products meet all organic standards.
The certifying agent is inspected every organic certification that applies. These inspections are depending on the farm facility. In organic tea plantations, they inspect these things.
- Soil condition
- Crop health
- Weed and pest management approaches
- Water system
- Storage area
Having a certifying agent review the inspection report
Then the certifying agents compare observation of practices with organic system plan and analyze potential hazards and critical control points.
Receive the decision from the certifier
Certifying agents issue an organic certificate that can be sold as an organic label. Then plantation continues its organic plan and modifies. An inspection is done at least once a year to maintain certification.
JAS means the Japanese Agricultural Standards. It is maintaining by the Japanese Government. If an organic product has passed the test conducted by JAS, they gave JAS seal to the product.
This is a non -government organization. Their target is to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods. They encourage organic farmers to transform land-use practices. Training and ratification are including in their approach to promote a healthy ecosystem.
Ethical Tea Partnership
This is one of non -profit organization deals with tea producers and tea companies to improve the sustainability of the tea industry. This organization was started in 1997. A number of large United Kingdom tea packing companies have been involved with this certification process.
Types of Organic Tea
- Organic Black Tea – is the most common form of organic tea. Morning blend organic black tea will give you a change in your life style.
- Organic Iced Tea
- Organic Pu-erh Tea
- Organic Green Tea
- Organic Matcha Tea
- Oraganic Herbal Tea
- Organic Oolong Tea
- Organic White Tea